A plan of a new road, intended to run from Paddington to Islington
To facilitate the movement of sheep and cattle from the west of London to Smithfield market, and troops to the Essex coast. Drawn by Benjamin Cole, a cartographer and print maker who also ran an optical instrument business, this was published in The Gentleman’s Magazine in January 1756. This long-running periodical (1731-1922) was the first to use the word ‘magazine’, and provided a digest of everything from commodity prices and current affairs to Latin poetry. Two notable pubs on the map are the Jews Harp Public House and Tea Gardens (1745-1899), located in what is now Regents Park, and the Yorkshire Stingo, at the western end of what would become the Marylebone Road. In 1790 the garden at the Stingo hosted the second cast iron bridge ever built. 90 feet long and weighing 3 tons, this had been intended for the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, and was designed by Thomas Paine, author of the best-selling revolutionary work The Rights of Man. The Stingo eventually closed its doors for good in 1964, having been in business since the 17th century.
Original Size: 24 x 50 cms
|Size||Art on Demand Paper||Bamboo Paper||Rice Paper|
|48 cm X 100 cm||£1500||£1500||£1500|
|36 cm X 75 cm||£1250||£1250||£1250|
|24 cm X 50 cm||£750||£750||£750|